Monday, August 6, 2007

Thing 21 and 22 - Podcasts and AudioBooks

These are interesting, and have been around in one form or another for some time. They have a place in providing both information (useful podcasts on particular subjects), and also providing access to information for people who are blind or unable to read well. Many books have already been made into tapes (and probably CD's) for the elderly or vision impaired. We used to borrow them for my Grandmother to listen to after she had a stroke and could no longer read. She was a voracious reader, and not only a teacher librarian, but also had an honour degree in English, something quite unusual for a woman in the 1930's.

I downloaded 'The Tale of Peter Rabbit', because I love reading it to the children, and also loved it as a child.

I have heard podcasts before, but being a visual person rather than an aural one, they don't really do it for me at all. However I'm sure some people would really benefit from them.

Give me a real book to curl up in bed with anytime!

No comments: